Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Contentment

Yep, I said it.  Contentment! I have decided that it mostly feels like a dirty word.  It has plagued me to varying degrees nearly always.  There were years that I felt restless and didn't know why. But more recently, I know what caused the lack of being content.  Let me start by saying that simply put, contentment comes from Christ. But oh my, we live in the world so it gets all messy.  Life happens. People we love disappoint and sometimes deeply hurt us. Jobs are not always a joy or even available. These days financial difficulties are commonplace. Dreams are crushed. Things we have dedicated our lives to slip from our fingers. Lifes difficulties introduce fear, hurt and angry.  Not to mention that with lack of self esteem comes lack of contentment.  Oops. . .I think contentment just went out the window.

So I wonder how many people are like me and have kept their lack of contentment as their dirty little secret. After all, I am a good Christian. I am married to an amazing man and have great children.  Yet, again and again that nasty little thought (urging really) peaks it's nasty head.


Like everything that matters in life, God has help for us.  He gave us Paul.  “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” Philippians 4:12-13. He had been beaten, stoned, imprisoned, and hunted by his enemies.  When I read about Paul, it gives me hope. His situation was so much worse than mine and yet he was a bond servant to Christ. He really got it!

As I thought over the new year, I realized that rather making a resolution to change something that what I really need to focus on is contentment.  I know I can't do it. I have tried practically forever. It is too much of an emotional battle and the enemy knows how to get me on this one.  Praise God . . .He is faithful to do it in me.  "God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8  Yes, that included being content!

I will leave you with a couple more verses to ponder as you decide, is it worth it? Because, let me tell you, I understand how hard it is.  After all, these are my hard earned hurts, bumps and bruises that we must put aside. I didn't ask for my self esteem to be crushed or life to be full of hurts.  How can I put all that aside? I am there with you but you know what?  All we have to do is ask our Lord Jesus Christ! He can do in us what we cannot do alone!

Here are your verses:

"Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, I will never desert you now will I ever forsake you." Hebrews 13:3

"If we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content." 1 Timothy 6:8

And finally, "True godliness with contentment is itself great wealth." 1 Timothy 6:6 I really like knowing this. I have recently discovered something. People notice when a person is content. They may not fully understand what is different but they notice. They even enjoy being around such a person. So today, my resolution if you want to call it that will be to pray for contentment on a regular basis. It will be better for me, better for my marriage, better for my children and, most of all, improve my walk with the Savior! Happy New Years!







No comments:

Post a Comment