Friday, January 6, 2012

Are computers taking over?

I am definitely asking myself that question post Christmas. When I say computers, I am talking about all the gadgets. We are so busy these days with our phones, music devices (with games no less), reading devices, and laptops that move with us. I am wondering if family and relationships are getting lost in technology. Don't get me wrong. . . I love my smart phone and computer. Plus my Nook is among my favorite things. But how many words are being spoken face to face? Are we loosing all the emotions of relationship to computers. How many times have we stared into one of those devices and spouted off life changing words. Yesterday, I told my husband that I forwarded a link (that he sent me from work) to our 16 year old. Now keep in mind we homeschool so the 16 year old was a few steps away. My husband said do you not talk to each other any more? Do you just email? So true.

I am worried about what computers are doing to us. I see them taking a tremendous amount of time in our family. Perhaps we already see in our children less ability to communicate. From an earthly viewpoint, perhaps the implications are troubling but don't alarm us enough. But I am concerned about eternity and there impact on that. First and foremost, I think we witness (tell people about Christ)and disciple through personal relationship best. Do we really want to miss those opportunities? Do we really want to chance not hearing, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" Matthew 25:23 Just because we are too busy to talk face to face. I think not. And while serving Christ and being a faithful witness for Him is more important than anything else, I want to share something else.
What about our families? Are we slowly but surely giving away our family to these devices? How much time do we really spend talking? I am so thankful that with homeschooling and the fact that our family dinner time has remained in tack. . .we do have some time. But I wonder if even that is enough. I have discovered that it takes time and quiet to let down my guard and open up. Not something that happens very easily.
As I write this, fear is creeping in as I think about the impact of this on marriage and children. What legacy do we leave? How will the people I love know how I feel or why I feel that way? I think Satan must love our devices. As long as we are busy with Facebook, Ebay, Angry Birds or whatever calls to us. . . then we let real life pass by not even realizing how much it is falling apart. Is this you? I definitely know that I am guilty. So my prayer for myself and challenge to you today is to place healthy limitations. I can't say what that might look like for you but I am praying for God to show me what steps to take. I know in my family I can't change everyone's habits but I can set an example and will pray. Besides I wonder how many times they aren't engaged because I don't ask for interaction. Looking forward to some family time this evening! I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment