Thursday, January 12, 2012

Clothing

A friend of mine reminded yesterday of one of the biggest challenges of raising a daughter.  Clothing! How can that be?  If you have shopped in the last few years for clothing for a girl then no doubt you could write this blog.  You have seen the selection. Therefore you know what I mean when I say. . .I do not want her midriff showing, no mini mini-skirts, no plunging necklines etc. Don't even get me started on bathing suits.  Sadly, these are issues we face with a 7 year old.  We have spent days just looking for a couple decent outfits.  Please can we just have clothing that a self respecting, sweet, pure 7 year old should wear? 

As I began to contemplate this, a thought came to mind. If we let our little girls dress like this then how will they dress as teens?  By allowing them to wear these clothes aren't we teaching them to feel comfortable in them? How can we explain that it is different as they get older? Or should it be?  I don't think so.  There are a number of passages in the Bible that address this and I fear they are often not given the importance they deserve.  Why is that?

I think it is easy for us to look at some passages and think "that was for Bible times." It is different now.  I agree wholeheartedly it is different in many ways. However, if we apply those passages to the time and culture in which they were written it becomes more clear. The wording may be a bit different but nothing has changed. The issues are really much the same.  The core of it is modesty.  Will we as women choose to dress with modesty and teach our daughters the same.  The Bible says, "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works." 1 Timothy 2:9-10  Before we go on, please note that I do wear pants, cut my hair and wear jewelry. So that is not the issue I am addressing here. As I think about, maybe that would be easier.  It is so much harder to dress fashionable and modest.  I certainly can't say I am there.  Have you ever noticed someone who does this well and thought how incredible it is.

Even as we shop with our daughters, they are learning this lesson if we choose wisely. Or maybe, we just come home and add to the outfit in a way to make it more modest. Since I am also mom to two teenage sons, I will greatly thank you!

My friend whom I mentioned earlier did an amazing job of helping her teen daughter make the right choice.  She was looking for a dress for a dance. Rather than settle for something a bit too revealing, she had a dress made. Think of what she is teaching her daughter beyond dressing appropriate (self-respect for starters). She makes me proud of her.  I am so glad she is blazing the ground before me and I can watch her example of how to apply God's word to dressing my daughter.

I truly hope that you are enjoying these blogs. I do welcome comments or notes. Hope to hear from you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment