Saturday, January 28, 2012

Forgiving, Forgiving and Forgiving

When I write these post, often times I write because I need the lesson myself. Writing causes me to reflect on what I know to be true and then compare it with what God says about it.  It seems that I have a hard time learning many of the important lessons necessary as a part of sanctification.

One such lesson is forgiveness. For the most part, I can handle forgiving someone. Problem is that it doesn't stop there.  I have found that often times we must forgive time and time again.  Not because we haven't forgiven that initial mistake or hurt that was caused us but because that person (being human) often repeats the same or similar hurt. Being human myself, it is hard to understand why you would do that when you know it hurts someone you love.  Oh, if only it were that simple.  I am no physiologist so I must just declare that there are some things I will not understand this side of heaven. Plus I am sure that same person who hurt me, I often hurt as well.

What I have learned it that I must forgive! Again and again and again if necessary.  Otherwise the pain of dealing with the hurt caused will rip me apart.  I think this is why there are so many verses in the Bible on forgiveness and why God felt it so important for us to do. He knew how much lack of forgiveness could destroy us (most importantly) our relationship with Him.

Probably a most known verse is,  "Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven."Matthew 18:21-22  These verse tells us that our forgiveness should be limitless. WOW! I love when God's Word washes over me anew.  So everyday, as many times a day as necessary, I must forgive.  Now I know (and I am speaking this to myself) that we don't always want to forgive and it is easy to think that the forgiveness is solely for the person we are forgiving. Not true.  In Matthew 6:14-15 scripture says, "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

I have also noted that living with an unforgiving heart causes other sins.  How about anger, bitterness, hate and the list goes on. Still it boils down to how difficult it is to forgive.  Fortunately, our Savior was gracious enough to even provide for that.  He says, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" Matthew 11:28-30.


Our rest must be found in Him! He is the only way that we can forgive, forgive, forgive, forgive. . . . Isn't it fitting that the one that provided forgiveness for our sins also teaches us to forgive.  Hope this speaks to you as it has me. Blessings to you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment