Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Pageant Contestants

I recently had the experience of going with a friend to shop for pageant dresses for two of her daughters.  It was a truly heartwarming experience. I watched as these girls went through the selections to find the one to delight their heart.  Only these girls didn't handle the experience as many would (after all it was one of those true "princess" moments).  They were pretty quiet about the whole thing.  They never whined, never begged and even only softly voiced their opinion. Even when the possibility of a favorite dress slipped away they handled it with such a humble attitude and not even a complaint.  I was so proud of them and felt I had been given a blessing to be there.

As I pondered on the shopping trip, I wondered if I handle things in the same manner or act like a spoiled little girl.  No, of course I don't pitch tantrums jumping up and down, crying and screaming.  But let's face it, the damage we do pitching a tantrum on the inside can be far worse.  Even as Christians, I wonder how often we pitch an internal fit because after all we are daddy's little girl. Knowing that we are so special and loved by the Father could give us a feeling of entitlement.   And it does.  Just not that kind.  It entitles us to act like Jesus.  Oops, for this we must take the tiara off and stop swirling in our beautiful gown.  This entitlement requires humility, selflessness, love, forgiveness and the list goes on.  But it requires us to be so passionate about the Savior that we have no time for tantrums. The good news is that we don't even need them because Daddy has our back. He always provides the best for us.

So often we are stressed and even panicked about life's circumstances.  When we go to the Lord in prayer, we give Him our fix-it list.  Father, please show my husband he is wrong, help the kids obey, give us enough money. . .  We whine, beg and maybe even pitch a fit.  Today I want to make a point to go to Him humbly ready to do as He ask and knowing that His plan is always what is best!

I am so proud of my little pageant contestant friends. I hope that it is so much more than they dreamed and that they will lay their crown at the Father's feet.  They are truly beautiful on the outside and inside.  And they will always be a Princess! Meanwhile, I might need to swirl around a bit as I praise God for the lesson these two sweet girls showed me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment