Monday, February 13, 2012

Sanctification

I have been thinking about missions lots lately. I have always had the idea of going to a foreign country where they don't know English and haven't heard the name of Jesus. So often I have thought how exciting to tell people something so special for the first time. Of course, in my thoughts they would immediately understand and accept Him as Savior.  So I guess the whole thing was a bit self glorifying (hum).

I guess, in some ways the dream has died a bit.  What changed? My faith is still in tact.  I still believe wholehearted in the one who saved me.  I believe it is so important to tell others of His love and how easily they can become saved. I also believe that His word is powerful!  Not only can He save us. . . His Word can transform us.

However, did you know that right here in the USA that statistics show that at least 50% of those who attend church regularly do not know Jesus Christ as Savior.  That is just of those that attend church and consider how many do not.  So the face of the mission field changed! These folks do speak English and they have heard the name of Jesus before.  But have we taken the time to sit with them one-on-one and discuss our faith with them? Why is it so hard for us to share our ideas, the scripture we read this week, and what God is speaking to us with our friends? Why is that such a hard and sometimes awkward conversation?  Why is that we would take any chance the person sharing the pew with us might miss Heaven or the opportunity for abundant life on earth.

I think perhaps, speaking from my own experience, that it might be because we are not prepared.  Preparation, by way of spending time with the Father. It is through time spent with Him that we become Sanctified. The Webster's Dictionary defines Sanctify as:

1) to set apart to a sacred purpose or to religious use : consecrate 
2)to free from sin : purify
3) to impart or impute sacredness, inviolability, or respect to b , to give moral or social sanction to 
4)to make productive of holiness or piety

When we spend time praying and in God's Word, this happens to us. We become "set apart to a sacred purpose".  It is a lifelong and daily process, but through it we become more like Jesus. We understand Him, we think like Him, we love Him more fully. . . He becomes our everything. You know what? We even learn to hear Him speak.  Once this process begins, there is nothing more thrilling than sharing what you have learned with a fellow brother or sister in Christ. 





I will tell you, sometimes I do well at this and many times I fail. I get self-focused.  Oh, the whole time I know what I am missing.  Once you have felt so strongly the Holy Spirit. . .you know.  But I still mess up. It is simple. . . being in His Word equals success.  Being out of His Word (just a short period of time) and failure is certain.  It breaks my heart to think what I miss during those times.  Life here is hard and things rarely go as we think they should. We need Him. . . everyday, all day!  Have you felt His Spirit? Do you know what I mean? Do you need a swift kick from a friend today? Consider this your kick! Find yourself on you face before the Lord and let Him sanctify you!

Next, it is time to get busy! Make your mission field wherever you are!  At home, at church, at work, in your neighborhood etc. Don't assume that those around you know Christ or have a relationship with Him. Next, and this is the hardest, find time for Him everyday.  It will change everything and you will know love like never before!

No comments:

Post a Comment