Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Trusting God

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

Anybody else found that hard at times. Come on. . . be honest.  For me, it has been the free will part that got in the way.  Trusting God is one thing but I have found that when you don't trust people it comes full circle causing you to not trust God.  When you have been hurt before, then you know the saying.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Ah, such a feeling of empowerment when we put up our guard of protection.  Problem is that same guard begins to deteriorate us. It is exactly what the enemy wants us to believe. For when we depend upon ourselves for protection then we are leaving God out of the equation.

Philippians 4:6-7 says, do not worry about anything, but with prayer and supplication with thanksgiving make your requests known to God and then the peace of God will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. This is one I know from experience, you cannot live in a state of anxiety and submit to God at the same time.  I tried and tried.  I was so afraid that people who had hurt me in the past would do so again that I lived every day guarded (taking every precaution). Then one day I realized that the only thing I was really guarding myself from was an abundant relationship with the love of my life (Jesus Christ).    It is these verses that finally hit me when change could occur:

Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139:23-24

When God searches what do we want Him to find? Do we want Him to find the "offensive way" of "anxious thoughts?" Does it penetrate your heart like it does mine when you think of God knowing everything about your thoughts. So back to trust. We must trust. . .we must trust. . .we must trust! This should help:

  • Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trust in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about. (Psalm 32:10)



  •   Taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trust in him.  (Psalm 34:8)



  •   The LORD redeem the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.(Psalm 34:22)



  •   God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. (Psalm 46:1-3)


Then I will leave you with this one last thought.  Take to the throne and leave it. Get on your face before the Lord and wait on Him. Let His Spirit reveal Himself to you.  If you have been hurt before, then the enemy got that little victory.  If you refuse to trust God to protect you, then He gets another one every day.  God is with you ALWAYS.  He is the only sure protection for you, your family, your health, your finances, etc.

Now I do know that life is really hard and everything cannot be covered in one simple blog but this is the foundation. The place to start. Just submit and begin trusting in the one who knows every hair on your head (He is that close to you right now) with what you need today.

No comments:

Post a Comment