Thursday, March 8, 2012

Running


"Do  you know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it." 1 Corinthians 9:24


For a myriad of reasons you don't want to hear. . .I am out of shape.  I have never been a true runner but have discovered that it is very refreshing (almost cleansing).  Even as I wonder if I can take the next step while running, I feel that sense of cleansing.  It occurred to me today as I tied on my shoes for the Couch to 5k that I desperately want to complete that running is what we do with God. We either run to Him or we run from Him.

Before we accept Christ as our Savior this is easy to see.  I think some people are afraid of the unknown and some just simply don't want to change.  They run and run and run in the opposite direction.  Sometimes the sin is so deep that they even believe they no longer can accept Christ. This is simply not true.  He wants to know you no matter what you have done or what has happened to you.  Sometimes we just try to be good but still have no place for God.  We run to keep busy and fill our lives with other things.

But what about after we are saved.  I still think it applies.  We may spend time with Him and grasp every possible opportunity to know His presence. In this case, we are clearly running toward Him.  But just like an unbeliever, we can busy ourselves and fill our lives with all sorts of things (some good, some bad).  All of it helping us run from true abundance that is offered in a daily relationship with Christ.  I want to challenge you that no matter how busy you think you are. . . you do have time for Bible Study and for church.  Be creative if need be and be willing to cut some things out of your life.  Make time for what really counts.  When you are no longer in this world, what will you be known by? What will people say about you and your walk with Christ?

That cleansing feeling that running gives is nothing compared to the cleansing power of the Holy Spirit! He saved you to have a relationship with Him.  I hear running can be very addictive and, you know what, so can spending time with God.  He will absolutely spoil you for the ordinary!

No comments:

Post a Comment