Friday, March 9, 2012

They will follow your lead. . .

I love when God gives me a real life example. As I enjoyed (ok that might be a slight exaggeration) my couch to 5k today, I realized that both of the kids who were home had followed me. The 16 year old on his skateboard and the 7 year old on her bike.  Had I been spending my time relaxing inside they would have gladly followed that lead too.  Titus 2:7  (NLT), says, "And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching."

As I ran and watched them, I reflected on how they truly do follow our (mine and Jim's) example in so many ways. It became my heart's cry that we not disappoint, that God be glorified in all we teach them by example.  It is a heavy burden to bear. We cannot expect more of our children than we are willing to do ourselves.  Yet, it is impossible.  Fortunately, our Lord gave us the perfect gift of His Holy Spirit.  By His Spirit we can daily go through a process of sanctification.  Sanctification is the activity of God (through His Spirit) which liberates the Christian from the power of sin. Sanctification imparts the righteousness of God through man.  It is not a one time deal. While we are justified when we are saved (once and for all), sanctification depends on where you are today with Christ.

I know that I cannot, on my own, be the example my children need. I have proven that over and over again.  However, I also see such a difference when I seek the Lord's face each day.  I am able to handle situations with so much more grace and find all sorts of teachable moments. Not to mention that have seen me spend time the one who changes everything.

If we want real change in our homes and in our world, we need not deceive ourselves.  It begins with the small changes that each of make and ends with others trying to imitate us (while we imitate Christ).

When we came back in from our exercise, I poured both myself and my daughter a big cup of water.  I carried mine to the bedroom and she followed. I said, "you know you are not suppose to bring that in here." Her prompt response was, "I was trying to be like you."  Hum. That was the punctuation of what God was teaching me. Out of the mouth of babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment