Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sitting in Daddy's Lap

"For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God" Romans 8:15-16

 

The past weeks have been stressful. Honestly, that is an understatement.  We have one son preparing for Air Force boot camp, one making college choices, our home is for sale, and many unspokens.  Just one of the events in our life would be enough to cause havoc to many a household. I wish I could say that I have dealt with it always as a spiritually mature Christian should, but that would not be the truth. At times, I have had such peace.  At other times, I have felt more like a spoiled child that is not getting their way.  The ironic part is that this attitude goes against all God has been showing me recently. Over and over His message has been about understanding true worship and who He is.

First addressing who God is to us.  The Bible tells us that He is our Abba.  Abba was a term used in Judaism to express the intimacy, security, and tenderness of a family relationship. More specifically, it was a word that children used to address their fathers.   It was an expression of warm affection and trust. Of course, it didn't preclude courtesy and respect.  That is why He is also our Father which means that we must recognize His authority over us.

Either or both of these can be hard for us to grasp. So much of how we feel about our relationship with God depends on our relationship with our earthly father.  While God models this role for earthly fathers, He is PERFECT.  His love is a pure holy perfect love for us. Even if your earthly father failed you in some way, your Abba Father will not.

True worship. . . Hum. This is the hard part for we must give everything.  We must be what is called "a living sacrifice".  Romans 12:1 says, "I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you.  Let them be a living and holy sacrifice-the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship Him." God wants all of us. That is, He wants us fully submitted and willing to give anything or even all we have. He wants us to love Him more than anything else and to be willing to serve Him in any way.  Honestly, that is something missing with most all of us.  Just ask yourself. . .when was the last time you fell on your face before the Lord.  How long were you there? Were you counting the minutes? Or were you just there completely submitted enjoying the presence of God.  Psalm 51:17 says, "The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God." Oh how I long to be able to go before Him daily with a fully repentant humble spirit of full submission. . .how I long to be a living sacrifice putting selfish desires aside.

Understanding and doing all this, for me, is a process. Sometimes it is pretty and sometimes it is really ugly.  I give myself and then jerk it back.  Plus I find the World so confusing. I admit that I care far too much about what others do and what others think. In todays world where few find true worship with God, you could easily be seen as a lunatic. But at what price are we looking sane?  Let's ask ourselves, "What is God asking us to do that we are choosing to disobey?' It may be simple as going to the alter to pray on Sunday or lifting your hand in worship. Or it may be something so much bigger.

For me, that disobedience has been not fully trusting God with all the stuff of life.  But God has been so good to me. He has gently reminded and beckoned me to sit upon Abba's lap to find comfort and peace.  It is there that He is pealing back the layers that have so fully weighed me down.  As each burdensome layer is removed to reveal new trust. . .I am more willing and able to be His living sacrifice. Who knew that being sacrificial could be freeing?  Thank you Abba Father that I can live for you and let you take care of the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment