Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Preparing the Way for the Lord

“The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.’” Mark 1:3

Our family has been thinking lots lately about what our role as Christians should be.  As a result, God is changing our hearts about some things and we are making some changes.  Today as I studied my Bible, the verses pertaining to John the Baptist preparing the way for Christ really hit me. I thought. . . that is it. That is our job.  To prepare the way for the Lord Jesus Christ (to return).

That also sums up what is changing in our hearts and minds.  We have a job to do and there is no time to waste. We have been preoccupied for far too long.  As a Christian, have you not read the verse in Matthew 25:21 (“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’) and thought I want that to be me. I want there to be something about the life I have lead that God would say, "Well done!"

So as I have examined my daily life, I have been a bit disappointed in my search for what pleases the Lord.  Yes, I do my best to be obedient to the Word of God. Yes, I disciple my children. Yes, I serve at church. But is that enough? For me, the answer is a resounding no.  I am disappointed with how I have allotted my time. So then what?

Prepare the Way for the Lord! But what does that mean?  In a word. . .missions.  No, I am not suggesting that everyone be a missionary in the traditional sense.  But we have to be passionate and intentional about it. Otherwise day after day after day slips by with nothing much given to this preparation for His return. How can we do that? Do we not care? Do we not believe? Do we not know our Bible enough to understand? Do we not pray? Do we not fully submit our lives to Him?

I cannot presume to know the answer for you. I pray that God will show you what to do. I pray His will show you how to spend your time and resources in a way that pleases Him and glorifies Him.  I pray that the changes will be so significant in both my family and yours that we won't even recognize that old way. Let's get busy "preparing the way for the Lord".

No comments:

Post a Comment