Thursday, February 28, 2013

Baskets & Adoption

adoptionThis morning I was busy rushing about doing the daily chores and getting ready. In the midst of it, our eight year old (adopted from China) just spurted out how she was just dumped in a street in China in a basket.  We have never kept any part of her adoption story from her so it was not a surprise that she knew.  However, the disgust in her voice was new.  Immediately our hearts were breaking together.  I could not love a child more than I love this girl.  She is so amazing and loves the Lord more than anyone I have ever known (young or old).  But she felt thrown away.

If you doubt the Holy Spirit. . .I wish you could have been there at that moment. He graciously gave every word to say to her. Praise Him!!!! Immediately, I said to her that her first parents did several very loving things.  For one, they allowed her to live and grow in her mommy's tummy.  Then I told her about Moses.  There are so many similarities.  During Moses' babyhood it was the boys who were in danger for their lives.  But the Lord helped his mother (and sister) care for him and protect him.  When they could no longer protect him, they put him in a basket and watched from a safe distance.  Once someone of authority took him, then they knew he would be safe.

Sometimes we think so harshly of those who don't choose to raise their children themselves but we shouldn't always.  I believe based on adopting three children and one failed adoption that the most unselfish thing a mother can do is seek something better for her child if she is not able.  I cannot imagine having to give up a child.  I nearly was crushed under the weight of giving up a child that I did not birth.  So how could I imagine such.

My dear sweet daughter and I sobbed as we talked about her feelings.  Now we are praying that her first mommy and daddy know Jesus (so she might know them in Heaven).  Praise God for His Word! It truly provides ALL we need to know to live.  His Holy Spirit is incredibly God within us! How could we ask for more? And yet He too adopted us into His family that we might have life eternal!  Praising our Lord and Savior!  I would love to hear some of your adoption stories and the ways the Lord has worked through them. Please feel free to comment and tell your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment