Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Stressed Yikes!

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24


I have lived my life in a perpetual state of varying levels of stress.  I am fully aware that it wreaks havoc with every aspect of life and health.  Unfortunately, it has still been something that I simply could not manage.  The fear of giving up control and the lack of patience just would not permit me to move forward.

Until. . .I learned something that revolutionized my life.  I hope I will be able to explain it in a way that is understandable. Really, what I learned is so simple but yet so foreign to us (as modern day Christians).  It is something that we want but yet at the same time it goes against everything else we want for ourselves. Have I lost you yet?

How many times have you thought. . . I am a Christian but yet things are still a mess. I want more out of my relationship with Christ but don't know how to get it. Does God answer prayers? I don't understand the Bible and it is too hard to read. I don't have time for Bible Study.

We have so many questions that our heart just burns for answers, but have we asked the most important question? The one that will ultimately answer all other questions. . .

Have I ever really come to Jesus on HIS TERMS?


I not too long ago began asking myself this question.  The answer surprised me. I was sure I could answer yes at first. I considered myself somewhat of a prayer warrior. I have facilitated many Bible Studies. I have tried to be diligent about reading His word. Etc, etc, etc.  But had I done anything that was really and truly on Jesus' terms?  Jesus, Himself, had some difficult things to say regarding this. Honestly, I think it is verses that we rather skip or try to explain away.  But, they cannot be explained away in complete truth!  Please read the verses from Luke 14:26-35

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’ “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples. “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”

These are the words of our Savior and while they may sound harsh. . .they are truly not.  He is trying to help us understand that we must love God more than anybody or anything.  We must die to our old life and "follow Him" just like the disciples.  Once we do this all other aspects of our life fall into place.  Because our love is great for God and His Spirit fills us then we love others. Not only that and this is hard. But if we call ourselves Christians and we are not true disciples. . . then leave a bad testimony.  Our saltiness is gone and our testimony (salt) is worthless. Father, please forgive us for letting our testimony of you mean so little.

How long have we tried to balance being a good Christian and living in the world? It is impossible and furthermore, it is extremely stressful.  If we want to be a disciple of Christ, we must lay down our life. He wants ALL of us.  This is the part I love! I have discovered that when I go to Him on His terms. . . there is no stress!!!! Hallelujah, Praise the Lord!  He is in control! I simply follow Him.  I can't wait to see where He leads. Will you commit this for your own life? Will you go to Jesus on His terms?

No comments:

Post a Comment